Friday, January 23, 2009

Chinese New Year Celebration

I just had an early Chinese New Year celebration in my Chinese Church with few of my buddies! When i got there, first thing on hand is to make DUMPLINGS!! I have eaten a lot of dumplings before, but to actually make it myself??! Oh NO! I'm sure you dont want to have a look at any of those i have made so.... i decided to not take any photos of them!! Muahahaha.... :)

Then we had a great dinner with lots of food prepared by the church. It was great!


Can you spot the ugliest one? :P



I had 2 American buddies who actually came with me too cause they wanted to experience the chinese new year celebration and upon entrance we're given a name tag where we needed to write our name on it! Of course i wrote mine down in chinese and both of them wrote their name in english obviously but then, later i thought, how can they blend in with us if they dont have a chinese name? So... this is what they get!



Pretty accurate huh? :)


and this is mine!! :)
For sure they liked their name! It's a pretty nice drawing to them... lol

Then, we had a short chinese service in which my two friend doesnt understand a word but they got a translator upstairs who translate every single word and then transmit it through FM and they heard it with a receiever or a radio! Cool stuufs huh..?


Thats Curt who is looking over listening to the translator.

Then at the end of the service, the elders were invited out to give angpou to the younger ones. It was initially only for all the little kiddie who is under 15 years old. But then later they have some extras and they extend it to under 18. Nobody went out. Under 20.. Yahoo! I got it i got it!! hahaha.. i'm the only one who is in college and still under 20! Man.. little kiddie i am... But who caresss! I got an angpou! Yeah!!! :)

Then under 21, under 22, under 23 and all my friends manage to get it! yahoo! It is a half dollar coin which has stop production long time ago. I have never seen such a coin as far as i am concern and according to my buddy, they're worth some money cause it's pretty precious and old type of coin! Cooooool....
Jon, me, Joel, Curt
Cute little kiddie with another Kiddie behind! lol
Curt with kiddies..
and after that we manage to catch some "Nian Gao" before we leave the church! It's pretty fun there and especially without family around here, friends makes a difference..
So.. It's Chinese New Year and this is going to be the first time i am celebrating it without any of my family members around with me! It's sad to think about the reunion dinner that we use to have at home or the vacation that we used to go for during this time of the year with all my family members. Playing Poker, Blackjack, Drinking and gaining weight and most importantly having a laugh on every single thing because it is just so great to be with them!

When the good food that i have here appear, the images of my family is blinking in my mind. How i wish they could somehow be here to celebrate with me and to share my joy, sorrow and everything with me.
However as what my friend once said to me: Far in place, near in heart! That's what really matters!

It is sad to think of some people who always have their family members around them and take it for granted! They always thought that freedom is what they strive for. Until one day, when they regreted it, it's too late! Never only appreciate something after it is gone. You will never know it will be gone so NEVER TAKE THEM FOR GRANTED!

Anyway, to welcome the new year Henry and i will be cleaning up our house and put up some New year decoration around the home to make up for the lost atmosphere here!
Nothing much here after that.. Just some gathering with friends and back to school. Pretty sad case huh... Well, i never thought it's so tough to be away from home...Now i know.... lol
So... Happy Chinese New Year everyone! and to my family : Love you all lots! :)

0 comments: